AW: [ RadSafe ] Uranium grinding wheels

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Wed Jun 10 07:09:19 CDT 2009

Dave,

There is not the slightest doubt that grinding wheels contain uranium,
thorium, K-40 and decay products. Your body as well as mine and foodstuff
contains all these long-lived radionuclides and additionally shorter lived
ones like C-14 and tritium, not to talk about more exotic ones - of natural
origin.

Abrasives may contain naturally occurring radioactive material (NORM),
depending on their origin. Best known are the zirconium containing sands.
Those compounds are mostly used because they are very hard, very resistant
to mechanical wear, and last extremely long before having to be replaced.

You do not specify what "HSS" means, further I miss a description of what
substances are ground - dry or wet operation. In the latter case the air
borne particles would really play no role. In the first case: Do you eat
grinding wheels dust?

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD