AW: [ RadSafe ] Radioactive wood pellets...

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Tue Jun 16 09:38:26 CDT 2009

Dear Dan,

Peat is used in some places for heating - think of its use in Scotland and
Ireland and its roll as an invaluable source of "peaty flavour" in the
production of really good whisky..... In Northern Finland there even exists
a commercial power plant being fired with peat. After the Chernobyl accident
there were investigations about the elevated Cs-137 contamination of peat
and possible impacts by burning it - there was no "danger" found.

Because of the low energy production it is very unlikely that those
"pellets" were produced from peat. "(Wood)Pellets" are produced from small
wood chips - the word "pellet" is also used in German for this product.
There exist standards in Germany and Austria about the necessary
characteristics like moisture content, energy released on burning etc. I do
not know whether in other countries like Italy such standards exist. That
"radioactivity" would influence the burning properties negatively is really
funny.

I found today in a newspaper that the organisation of the pellet producers
and sellers declared, that no radioactive pellets are sold in Austria. To
make it clear: all wood all over the world contains C-14, tritium, K-40,
traces of actinices and fallout-radionuclides!

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.