[ RadSafe ] RE: Cs-137 in wood pellets

Johansen, Kjell Kjell.Johansen at nexteraenergy.com
Mon Jun 15 15:06:24 CDT 2009

Stewart Faber's included results from areas outside the NE United States.  I contributed ashes from Wisconsin and upper Michigan.  Based on data gathered by the NOAA Great Lakes Environmental Research Lab in Ann Arbor, Mi, the time integrated and decay corrected Cs-137 deposition around Lake Michigan, in 1978, was around 9 pCi/cm2  or 0.3 Bq/cm2 .  Our REMP still finds slightly elevated Cs-137 level in camp grounds where trees from the 60s are being burned in camp fires and the ashes are spread around the ground to fertilize the natural vegetation.

Kjell Johansen
Chemist
NextERA Energy Point Beach
920-755-6869