FW: [ RadSafe ] radiographic spatial resolution

DODGE, CHARLES (JSC-SD)[WYLE LABORATORIES] charles.dodge at nasa.gov
Thu Jun 25 15:16:45 CDT 2009

Manos

If I understand your question correctly, the focal spot size is indeed the main factor in image resolution. However, things such as an anti-scatter grid and patient scatter will also degrade the resolution. Therefore in mammography , for example, compliance is measured in the number of specs, fibers and masses that can be seen on an image of a standard imaging phantom. I seem to recall a rule of thumb type of calculation for focal spot size to Lp/mm but that will have been far too long ago for anything other than memory remnants.

This may also shed some light " Med. Phys. Volume 24, Issue 1, pp. 11-15 (January 1997)"

Charles W. Dodge, Ph.D.
NASA, Johnson Space Center
Bldg.15 Rm266
Houston, TX.