[ RadSafe ] Speaking of uncertainties

Olsson Mattias :MSO mso at forsmark.vattenfall.se
Wed Mar 4 09:12:16 CST 2009

Dear all,

The previous question about uncertainties made me wonder how well spread
the detailed uncertainty analysis of radioactivity measurements is.
Among the labs in Sweden that make radioactivity measurements I'm only
aware that FOI (a defense research organisation) uses combined and
expanded uncertaintied that include all identified uncertaintied. The
most common way to report results from activity measurements is to
either give no uncertainty och possibly one or two sigma based only on
measurement statistics.

There are signs toward somewhat more strict demands about this in
Sweden, at least when releases of radioactivity are measured or when
measurements for free release are done.

Any experiences from demands in this area?

Best regards,
Mattias Olsson, Forsmark NPP