[ RadSafe ] radiation protection survey for RIA

Brunette, Jeffrey J., CHP Brunette.Jeffrey at mayo.edu
Fri Mar 13 08:35:46 CDT 2009

Mike,

RIA kits actually are not exempt, they are generally licensed.  (I know
it's splitting hairs but the hair splitting does become significant as
I'll try to demonstrate.)  See 10 CFR 31.11 at
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part031/part031-0011.h
tml.  As per the regulation, they are generally licensed if you can keep
your inventory on-hand to less than 200 microcuries and the general
license exempts you from most other regulations.  If the RIA facility
possesses more than 200 microcuries of photon emitting RIA material,
then they aren't generally licensed and all the regulations come back
into play.  (In a prior job I held in the '90s, we had a physically
separate RIA lab and did whatever we could to stay below the 200
microcurie limit to maintain the general license and thus the
exemptions.)

For the nuclear medicine survey and other related issues, I'd suggest
you look at some of the guidance materials that the NRC has such as the
appendices in NUREG-1556v9 (at
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/nuregs/staff/sr1556/v9/r2/
, specifically appendix L on audits if that is what you mean by "survey"
or appendix R if you asking about daily/weekly surveys).

Jeff Brunette
brunette.jeffrey at mayo.edu