[ RadSafe ] Mr. Connell states basis for radon risk reduction "havebeen rejected by legitimate scientists for decades"

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Mon May 4 21:06:29 CDT 2009

May 4, 2009

         The "worth-while study" is the Iowa Radon Lung Cancer
Study.  ("Residential Radon Gas Exposure and Lung Cancer") by Field, R.
William, et al. American Journal of Epidemiology.  151(11):1091-1102; 2000.

         R. William Field delivered a lecture titled "Environmental Factors
in Cancer: Radon," at the President's Cancer Panel  in Charleston, SC, on
December 4, 2008.  On page seven of his lecture, Field said the EPA
"deserves significant credit for their tremendous leadership over the past
20 years to reduce radon exposure on many fronts.  However, greater success
has reportedly been impeded by the U.S. EPA's reliance on voluntary
programs."  Continuing on page seven, Field noted that the EPA's Office of
the Inspector General has "strongly recommended" that the EPA consider
using its "authority, including legislation" that the EPA has under the
1988 Indoor Radon Abatement Act "to reduce the risk posed by protracted
radon exposure."

         Field went on to cite the precedent of legislation banning the use
of lead paint.  He then said that because of smoking, we are "essentially
allowing" a "bioterrorist within" to "attack over a million Americans each
year" and he says that "radon is a 'dirty bomb' within our homes that
attacks millions of people each year."  Field closed by saying that there
are clear indications that mitigation of existing homes and adopting radon
resistant new construction "can be justified on a national
level."  (citation omitted)

         The hyperbole is patently obvious.  Can you see the mailed
fist?  I wonder if any of Field's 2008 sentiments were extant in 2000 when
he was conducting the Iowa study.

Steven Dapra

NOTE

         Field's lecture (with two and one-half pages of references) is
available online in PDF.  I regret that I do not have the specific link,
however you can go to <http://www.aarst.org/>.  Highlighted in blue you
will see "President's Cancer Panel," and directly below that is a link to
"Testimony - December 4, 2008."  This will take you to Field's lecture.

At 02:40 PM 5/4/09 -0700, Brennan, Mike  (DOH) wrote:
>This is a worth-while study: http://radsci1.home.mchsi.com/irlcs.pdf
>
>As for "...including referencing the EPA documents which clearly state
>that they have never found ANY support for their position, and where the
>EPA admits that when radon goes up, cancer rates go down.", I would be
>willing to bet a fair sum that the EPA Radiation and Indoor Air people
>would not agree with that assessment of the documents, and might well take
>exception to it.
>
>While it is not a study, here is an article about a situation I was
>slightly involved in:
>http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/mar/08/a-silent-danger/.  The woman
>in the article is a never-smoker, living in and from non-smoking
>households, and working in a smoke free workplace.  She was diagnosed with
>lung cancer.  When her home was tested for radon the levels on the main
>floor, including in her bedroom, were around 250 pCi/l.  I am not a
>radi-phobe, but that's a lot of radon.  I acknowledge that we do not know
>for certain what induced her cancer, but I know what I consider to be the
>most likely suspect.

[edit]