[ RadSafe ] Obama to name Reid ally as NRC chairman

Stabin, Michael michael.g.stabin at Vanderbilt.Edu
Sun May 17 11:43:35 CDT 2009

>The issue with Yucca Mountain is not nuclear power, it's Yucca Mountain.

Of course it's about nuclear power. The anti-nukes have used all kinds of political games to keep this stalled, to try and cripple the nuclear power industry, nothing more or less. Pres. Clinton joined in the games, and we are still stalled, with the taxpayers now paying off the industry's quite legitimate lawsuit over breach of promise. The blatant hypocrisy is that it's about 'public safety'. So let's keep this dangerous waste in poorly protected, over-filled storage units near huge population centers, not buried deeply in the middle of the Nevada desert. Thanks so much. I would in a heartbeat build my house on top of, downwind, downstream, whatever, near Yucca, but I have no desire to live in Nevada. ANY place you try and site a safe storage facility the anti's will protest, always able to come up with some argument, thus consciously choosing to leave large segments of the public at significant risk from an accident or terrorist attack on the on-site storage facilities, in the pipe dream that we will just close all the nuclear power plants and power our cities with solar. This is technically and morally wrong.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
Associate Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
Phone (615) 343-4628