[ RadSafe ] Question on Subtracting TLD Background

Neill Stanford stanford at stanforddosimetry.com
Thu May 28 11:18:08 CDT 2009

Hi Kevin,
Background subtraction can be a significant source of headaches for large
sites with multiple storage locations.

Ideally the control badges live with the worker badges at all times from
anneal to processing except when being worn. If you go to a site-wide value,
then you should (actually, it's a shall with DOE) have some blanks (extra
controls) at the storage racks that get processed and trended. This will
show you how good your site background value is, and help with investigating
questioned doses.

There is another interesting issue here: if the storage locations have a
different background rate (typically higher, because they are more
conveniently located, closer to the work areas), should you really be
subtracting all of it? It's easiest to see with an exaggerated example. Say
the laboratory controls (stored where you process) show 30 mrem in a
quarter, and the badge rack controls show 100 mrem. I seems reasonable to
say that some, if not all, of that 70 mrem diff is due to 'occupational'
dose and some portion of it should in fact be assigned. Some programs
subtract a % of the control badges, equal to the % of time the worker badge
is actually stored with the control badge.

Sincerely,

Neill Stanford, CHP
Stanford Dosimetry
stanford at stanforddosimetry.com