[ RadSafe ] Comparison of a Measured Result to the Critical/Decision Level; new question

Arvic Harms Arvic.Harms at npl.co.uk
Tue Oct 13 08:28:22 CDT 2009

As far as I understand the ISO 11929:2008 draft, it recommends the following:

If result < y* (decision threshold), report as 'not detected' or alternatively as 'less than y# (detection limit)', if required by a regulator.
If result >= y*, report the best estimate of the result together with its uncertainty (even if the result is less than y#, the detection limit).

Example:

Background measurement time: 10000
Background counts: 100
Gross measurement time: 10000
Gross counts: 120
Net count rate: 0.0020
Decision threshold y*: 0.0023
Detection limit y#: 0.0049
Detected: No
Report as: Not detected (or less than 0.0049)

Background measurement time: 10000
Background counts: 100
Gross measurement time: 10000
Gross counts: 124
Net count rate: 0.0024
Decision threshold y*: 0.0023
Detection limit y#: 0.0049
Detected: Yes
Best estimate: 0.0026
Best estimate standard uncertainty: 0.0013
Report as: 0.0026(13) at k=1

Background measurement time: 10000
Background counts: 100
Gross measurement time: 10000
Gross counts: 200
Net count rate: 0.0100
Decision threshold y*: 0.0023
Detection limit y#: 0.0049
Detected: Yes
Best estimate: 0.0100
Best estimate standard uncertainty: 0.0017
Report as: 0.0100(17) at k=1

Summary

For net count rates

0.0020: Report as not detected or < 0.049
0.0023: Report as 0.0026(13)
0.0100: Report as 0.0100(17)

At first sight, this may seem somewhat counterintuitive, but I believe it is correct. When you want to combine the results (as a sum or a mean) in the case of a count rate of 0.0020, dividing 0.049 by a factor of two will get you a reasonable estimate close to the value of 0.020 (although this value is 'not detected'). However, it will of course fail for count rates of 0.0001 or -0.0020.

Scanning through the literature (including US-EPA document "Guidance for Data Quality Assessment" (EPA QA/G-9)) it is clear there is several ways of analysing data with non-detects (censored data).

(i) Replace non-detects with DL/2, DL/SQRT(2), DL or (my favorite) "a very small number"
(ii) Trimmed means
(iii) Proportion tests

I guess the main problem is how the detection limit (DL) is defined (Bayesian ISO 11929 y#, LLD, MDA, Currie Ld) and how you report it. The suggestion below to publish data in different ways within a report is good one.

Kind regards,

Arvic Harms

Dr Arvic Harms
National Physical Laboratory
Hampton Road
Teddington TW11 0LW
Middlesex
United Kingdom
E-mail: arvic.harms at npl.co.uk
Tel ++44 20 8943 8512
Fax ++44 20 8614 0488

privileged material; it is for the intended addressee(s) only.
If you are not a named addressee, you must not use, retain or
disclose such information.

NPL Management Ltd cannot guarantee that the e-mail or any
attachments are free from viruses.

NPL Management Ltd. Registered in England and Wales. No: 2937881
Registered Office: Serco House, 16 Bartley Wood Business Park,
                   Hook, Hampshire, United Kingdom  RG27 9UY