[ RadSafe ] Chernobyl

Mon Oct 19 12:00:25 CDT 2009

Not the worst article I've read about Chernobyl:

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/711752--life-returns-to-an-eer
ie-chernobyl#article

I find Timothy Mousseau's desperation to not accept that wildlife is
doing better in the exclusion zone than it is doing elsewhere to be sad.
I can accept that barn swallows nesting in the sarcophagus might well be
affected by the high levels of radiation there.  I have a harder time
accepting that that group is representative of the population throughout
the zone.  As for the number of invertebrates; apart from issues of
whether or not there sampling technique was valid, there is the problem
that we don't know what the background population density should be in
an area where human activity isn't disrupting the predator/prey balance.