TR: [ RadSafe ] Ra-226 Static eliminator bar what about radon emission?

parthasarathy k s ksparth at
Wed Oct 28 23:27:37 CDT 2009

To all

Since Radium-226 is used in this instance as an open source, will there not be radon emission which may pose a significant radiation hazard?
 In a closed room radon and its progeny can build up significantly

From: BRISSON Nicolas <nicolas.brisson at>
To: radsafe at
Sent: Wed, 28 October, 2009 20:58:57
Subject: TR: [ RadSafe ] Ra-226 Static eliminator bar

Some Edit :

Hello all,

I don't have much information on this topic but you can find an article at the web address below.

American Journal of Public Health (August 1950) :

In this article you can read that these static eliminator bars contained 25 or 50 µg of radium 226 per linear inch.

Some Ionotron with radium 226 were manufactured by US Radium Corps.

In France, you could buy a ionotron t.200 for around 20€ in 1960.

For a total length of 15 cm, the active part had a length of 5 cm. In the safety sheet given with the ionotron, it was said that you were at the safe distance from the ionotron at 25 cm. Remember though that it was in 1960...

Unfortunately I couldn't find any activity numbers.

I hope this helps a bit.

Nicolas Brisson

31, rue de l'Ecluse

tel : 01-30-15-42-75