[ RadSafe ] U.S. senator promises look intocellphone-cancerlink -Yahoo! News

George Andrews gandrews at ntplx.net
Tue Sep 15 20:30:58 CDT 2009

George,

I understand some people are worried about the frequencies in the
"microwave" range. Many regard 900 MHz and up as the "microwave" region. The
900 MHz band was commonly used by many sources. Power levels are far greater
than cell phones. One to maybe 5 Watts for hand helds, 20 to 45 W for mobile
sources and around 90 Watts for a repeater. 1.2 GHz is also a communications
band. 2.4 Ghz is also a communications band and is a WiFi band. 5.8 GHz is
common in cordless phones. I don't remember the frequency, but it is
microwave, for burgular alarms and I think door openers (doppler systems).
So if exposure to microwave radiation is of concern, ditch the cell phone,
cordless phones, blue tooth and WiFi. Stay out of a number of public places
that use microwave burgular alarms. I think some may keep the RF on, but the
alarming electronics off!

I have a handheld transceiver that is about 1 W out and sometimes use a
small Uda-Yagi design antenna with about a 10 dbi gain for an ERP of close
to 10 W. Of course by the nature of the design, the director is always away
from my body. The reflector element is closest and the ERP "off te back is
down by nearly 20 db or about 10 to 20 mW ERP.

My point is that there is a long history of the use of microwaves and as
such, if there were health issues, they should be relatively obvious. Beware
the Luddites!

George Andrews, RRPT
N1YAE