[SPAM][ RadSafe ] RE: What Are Radionuclear Materials?

Doug Aitken jdaitken at sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com
Mon Sep 21 10:22:19 CDT 2009

I can understand the position. However, is not all material (unstable -
radioactive - or not,  in reality "nuclear" (as in contains a nucleus...).
It only becomes radioactive if the nucleus is unstable...

So I think this position is a bit "we know best" rather than "let's try and
be as clear as possible".
Just because "nuclear" as an adjective (nuclear energy, etc) is clear, it
does not preclude (in my simple, non-professional mind) make it the only
correct usage.

And as for the statements " Radionuclear has also been used as a journalese
shorthand form for 'nuclear and/or radiological' - what is wrong with that
(other than the use of the semi-arrogant "journalese" - as in you dummies
have no right to mess with our lexicon...). And do they precisely define the
distinction between "nuclear" and radiological (or radioactive - as they use
the two terms in the same sentence...... )

Oh, well. I guess I am just having a bit of fun. We must remember that the
English language is a living thing and "usage" changes almost daily. If the
entire US establishment embraces the term "nucular", I don't feel too bad
about the use of radionuclear..
;~)
Doug

Doug Aitken