AW: [SPAM][ RadSafe ] RE: What Are Radionuclear Materials?

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Mon Sep 21 11:55:31 CDT 2009

Rick,

It might be 10 or 15 years ago, that "Health Physics" changed radically to
SI Units. So radically indeed that they even banned the cSv, cGy, not to
talk about the Ci in manuscripts submitted. The introduction of SI units was
an international task, almost world wide accepted. Unfortunately there is
still a country in this world, small indeed when taking the surface and the
population into account, which does not follow the international rules on SI
units .....

Inventing new units and terms seems to be a favorite pasttime for people who
have enough time for it. Sometimes they are nationalists, who want
scientists of their country to become immortal by naming a unit after them.
What became of the "Taylor"? Sometimes they obviously like to play - why
should "radioactive materials" be renamed to "radionuclear materials"? I
cannot see any reason.

I can only repeat that we have so many terms already, that we do not need
new ones, which do not improve the old ones very significantly. It is
already now difficult enough to distinguish different terms.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.