[ RadSafe ] Lightning Strikes

Robert Barish robbarish at verizon.net
Thu Apr 1 15:36:23 CDT 2010

I've spoken with Dr. Mardi Crane-Godreau whose company High Altitude Radiation Monitoring Services has provided radiation detectors to numerous flight crew who have traveled thousands of flights. She never had a reported exposure that was outside of the expected in-flight levels, based on altitude/latitude.

If you put this information together with Sandy Perle's experience shipping lots of packages containing dosimeters, I think that the evidence strongly supports the conjecture that there is no 100 mSv exposure for crew or passengers associated with lightning strikes on commercial aircraft.

Robert Barish, PhD CHP
In-Flight Radiation Protection Services, Inc.