[ RadSafe ] Is Greenhouse Debate Appropriate?? ---Re: Salsman warning

Stewart Farber radproject at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 11 23:32:12 CDT 2010

I suggest that debating the technical basis of whether global mean temperatures are rising, and mankind's role in affecting climate due to carbon dioxide is completely inappropriate to Radsafe. The basic science and validity of global warming is not an appropriate issue for radsafe because the technical issues involved in validating the Greenhouse Effect are outside the expertise of almost everyone on radsafe, and it  is not a radiation sciences issue.

Nuclear technology interests have shown they are essentially inept  in getting the public, media, legislators, and regulators to understand nuclear issues in a balanced and realistic way. So now some on Radsafe seem compelled to spit into the wind and criticize the Greenhouse Effect, something that the majority of the public, media, legislators, and regulators have accepted.

These  actions only serve to further alienate outside interests who oppose nuclear sciences, and detract from the credibility and standing of nuclear technology professionals.  Humorous actually.

Popular belief in the seriousness of the Greenhouse effect is essentially the ONLY reason governments and private interests [including environmental groups, formerly completely opposed to nuclear technologies] around the world are now considering expanding nuclear power electric generation. There is currently open discussion of a possible "nuclear power renaissance" and the need for carbon-free electric generation with nuclear power playing a serious role.

There are only a few issues related to the greenhouse effect that quickly come to mind which may warrant discussion on Radsafe:

1) The fine points of radiation detection counting techniques that can help in studying details of carbon dioxide levels over time, such as atmospheric C-14 levels from cosmic ray atmospheric interactions
2) How public, media, legislative, and regulatory belief in the greenhouse effect, affects development of nuclear technologies

Lastly,  criticizing someone's occassional typos in a post is rather petty. Replies are often quickly prepared and sent. It is easy to make a typo or to misuse a word, and such grammatical errors should not be a factor in considering a thought or argument. A prior post by Jean Bush of Mr. Salsman mocked a spelling error, but itself included a grammatical error  where Jean Bush wrote:

"The problem is not mining, but that the current owner failed to comply with recently sited [sic: cited]  ventilation and safely issues."

Typos and grammar are not issues which warrant criticism.

Stewart Farber, MSPH [ Air Pollution Control]
Farber Medical Solutions, LLC
Bridgeport, CT 06604

[203] 441-8433 [office]
http://www.farber-medical.com