[ RadSafe ] RadSafe - an international list?

Mon Apr 12 16:24:05 CDT 2010

Hi, Franz.

I don't disagree with you, though I despair it will come to pass.  I remember my bitterness in high school (back in the 70s) when I learned the metric system, and that the US was supposed to have switched over, but was held back by the "They'll take away my 7/16 inch crescent wrench when they pry it from my cold (in degrees F) dead fingers" crowd.  I credit that success with the rise of the anti-evolution, anti-vaccination, and Abstinence Only movements.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu [mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Franz Schönhofer
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 2:01 PM
To: 'Jeff Terry'
Cc: radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu
Subject: [ RadSafe ] RadSafe - an international list?

Jeff and RADSAFErs,

As far as I remember RADSAFE is an international list. I am "impressed" by
the many pCi of Rn-222 cited in very recent contributions (which by the way
are not really scientifically impressive!), but almost everywhere on this
earth one uses the nowadays correct units like Bq or Sv or Gy, meter etc.
The big and influencial journals - also the US based ones like "Health
Physics" - have since decades banned the old Ci and rem units, not to talk
about feet, inches, miles etc. SI units are the only ones to be used in
scientific journals.

I would advocate, that at RADSAFE SI units should be used as well, not only
because of its internationality, but also because RADSAFE is a SCIENTIFIC
list.

We did not have this discussion for quite a few years on RADSAFE, but it
should not be forgotten.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD