[ RadSafe ] Radon measurement

Mark Sonter sontermj at tpg.com.au
Tue Apr 13 19:34:15 CDT 2010

Franz, Mike, et al:

Regarding use of SI units, I totally agree.

Whimsically, might I suggest to our oldfashioned units users, that
surely for (non-SI) consistency, the unit for radon in air should be
'picocuries per cubic foot'....or maybe 'microcuries per barrel'....

Regarding radon daughter attachment to clothing etc:  I remember thirty
years ago working at the Narbalek high grade uranium mine in the
Northern Territory of Australia; a colleague (one Victor Leach) and I
had been out pre-dawn, trialling a mechanical Tsivoglou Method Radon
Progeny detector, the atmospheric conditions were dry and dead calm, and
we came back to the changeroom, where upon frisking ourselves we found
our hair and our hardhats were just loaded, loaded, with alpha counts....

And by the way, I think we should all just ignore Mr Salsman, or
whatever he calls himself today...

--
Mark Sonter

Radiation Advice & Solutions Pty Ltd,   abn 31 891 761 435
Asteroid Enterprises Pty Ltd,   abn 53 008 115 302

116 Pennine Drive, South Maclean, Queensland 4280, Australia

Phone / fax  (07) 3297 7653   Mobile 0412 433 286

“Keep everything as simple as possible, but no simpler”  - A. Einstein

--This email was produced using recycled electrons--