[ RadSafe ] News Coverage-- Re: HEU in Chile -

Stewart Farber radproject at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 15 14:49:20 CDT 2010

Hello all,

A day or 2 ago,  I posted a Sandia video of a train smashing into a 25 ton nuclear fuel shipping cask as an aside about the news coverage of the cask shifting in Chile.  Clearly, there was zero chance that the 25 ton shipping cask being loaded onto a ship in Chile,
braced and blocked into an
ocean going container, could not survive a 2 meter or so drop onto the
deck of a freighter. It was silly for Rachel Maddow of MSNBC  to state that "disaster was
narrowly averted"  when a loading crane hoisting
the ocean going container with the
cask containing 20 to 40 pounds of HEU on to the ship malfunctioned.

A good point of reference to understand the routine nature and safety of HEU shipment is the "Megatons to Megawatts" program which has been operating continuously since 1993. This program takes HEU from Russia and ultimately it ends up as LEU that is made into reactor fuel in the US,  that is then sold to utilities and burned in US NPP.

Through late 2009, 375 metric tons of HEU [ equivalent to  15,000 warheads] had been transferred by Russia to a US company, downblended to LEU in factories in Russia, shipped to the US, and  turned into reactor fuel, and sold to US nuclear power plant operators.

 frequently watch the Rachel Maddow show and generally enjoy her take on
various
issues, and her interviews. However, recently  her
 coverage of nuclear issues has become  more and more out of touch with the
facts on the nuclear  issues she has raised. She seems
more
 willing to toss out anti-nuclear dogma rather than accurately report
 on various nuclear issues.

In this regard,  I recall a
quote from Alf, the alien TV character, in the 1980s show Alf:  "Dogma,
dogma, dog manure".

A few nights ago as one example, Rachel Maddow
claimed that it was contradictory that the President would be signing
treaties to bring HEU from various countries like Russia and the Ukraine
 back to
the US for safe handling or disposal, while at the same time announcing
an initiative to build more nuclear power plants which she said "ONLY
CREATE MORE HEU".  WOW

Ms. Madow's misunderstanding and misstatements would be humorous if
she and MSNBC
did not reach a wide audience of people who are seeking accurate information,
and are in positions of responsibility where their understanding of
vital issues can affect what actions our Government, media, regulators,
and members the public may take.

Nuclear power plants in the US of course don't create more HEU as Ms. Maddow
incorrectly stated. Rather NPP operation since 1993 will soon have
resulted in consuming 500 Metric Tons [ 1,100,000  pounds] of HEU, downblending into
LEU,  and using the LEU for US electricity production.

The equivalent of 20,000 nuclear warheads will have been eliminated under
the " Megatons to Megawatts" program. To date 375 metric tons of HEU,
the
equivalent of 15,000 warheads have been consumed in US NPPs after
conversion to LEU fuel.  By
comparison, the shipment from Chile involved a trivial amount of HEU, about 40
pounds.

The just signed treaty negotiated in the few past months between the US
and Russia will reduce
warheads from about 2,200 to about 1,500 on each side which is being reported as a major initiative to "reduce nuclear warheads by one-third". True, but the Megatons to Megawatts program will have eliminated about 20,000 warheads worth of HEU over 20 years. And 1,500 deliverable warheads is still
enough for
each side to completely destroy the other. However, the new treaty
is another step in the right direction.

For a description of the Megatons to Megawatts program which has
received relatively little press [perhaps
because it
highlights a significant benefit to operating commercial nuclear plants
in the
US, not just in making electricity but to permanently eliminate Russian
nuclear bomb
source fissile material],
see:

http://www.usec.com/NewsRoom/NewsReleases/USECInc/2009/2009-09-23-Material-For-15000-Nuclear.htm

From

the above Sept. 23, 2009 press release:

 "USEC Inc. (NYSE: USU) announced
 today
that the Megatons to Megawatts program has eliminated the equivalent of
15,000
nuclear warheads, completing 75 percent of the program’s goal, and is on

schedule to finish downblending the equivalent of 20,000 nuclear
warheads into
commercial nuclear power plant fuel by the end of 2013.“We are proud of
our role
in implementing one of the most successful nonproliferation programs
ever,” said
John K. Welch, USEC president and chief executive officer. “For more
than 15
years, the Megatons to Megawatts program has transformed this weapons
material
for the long-term benefit of mankind. In utilizing this fuel, America’s
nuclear
power plants have made us all safer while providing clean,
emissions-free
electricity to power our lives.”.............

To date, 375 metric tons of highly enriched uranium
(HEU) have
been downblended into 10,868 metric tons of LEU, enough to produce
electricity
that would meet the demand for a city the size of Boston or Seattle for
approximately 575 years.Through the end of 2008, USEC had paid the
Russian
Federation more than $5.6 billion for the SWU component of the LEU
delivered
since 1995. The total amount paid to Russia through the 20-year life of
the
contract is expected to substantially exceed $8
billion."
=============

The permanent elimination by 2013
of HEU from  20,000 Russian warheads, and conversion into nuclear fuel to be consumed in
US nuclear reactors is a prime example of what has been a major step to fulfill the biblical admonition that humanity should beat their swords into
plowshares,
eliminating weapons and turning them into something for the benefit of
humanity. Once the fissile material from nuclear warheads is sold by Russia to the

US to
make commercial fuel, the HEU in the warheads cannot
 be used
or diverted to rogue states or terrorist groups for nuclear weapons.

Everyone

 wins by the US using domestic NPPs to get rid of HEU from Russia -- except
terrorists who won't have potential
access
to any of the 20,000 nuclear warheads being eliminated by this existing
Megatons
to Megawatts program running thru 2013.

Let's hope that Rachel Maddow and other members of the media who
influence a wide audience can begin to get their facts straight so the
public has a chance of making informed decisions that collectively
affect the security, environment,
climate, and economic future of our country.

By the way, my previous post, for no special reason except that it is fun to watch,  mentioned another test video of an F-4 Phantom jet being crashed into the equivalent of a NPP containment. I overlooked including the link to the video of the   F-4 crash, and give a sense of how much it would take to breach a NPP containment. For those who like to see crashes and explosions, take a look at the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWdcVo6zIYI

Stewart Farber, MSPH

Farber Medical Solutions, LLC
Linear Accelerator and Medical Imaging Equipment Brokerage

Bridgeport, CT 06604

[203] 441-8433 [o]

website: http://www.farber-medical.com

PS: And for what it is worth, I will send this post on to Ms. Maddow at her MSNBC email. It is unlikely to have much impact on the accuracy of  her coverage on nuclear issues, but will make me feel better. One of my favorite quotes is by the Spanish philosopher Georges Santayana:

"To knock a thing down, especially if it is cocked at an arrogant angle, is a deep delight of the blood".
Santayana is best known for his quote: "Those who don't remember history, are condemned to repeat it." However, I like the first quote above more.