[ RadSafe ] Is Nuclear Energy the Solution ?

George Stanford gstanford at aya.yale.edu
Sun Apr 18 00:27:56 CDT 2010

Ahmad:

      Thank you.  Prompted by your email, I did a Google search and
found this piece by the WNA:
<http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf49a_Alberta_Tar_Sands.html>.
Concluding paragraph:
>"Meanwhile CERI [Canadian Energy Research Institute] published a
>report in February 2009 which says that employing nuclear energy
>with (so far untested) carbon capture and storage [CCS] in tar sands
>extraction and processing could make oil from that source cleaner
>than conventional oil in respect to its greenhouse gas and other
>emissions. The CERI report looked at both very large (1600 MWe) and
>multiple very small (10 MWe) nuclear reactors."

      I gather that Albertans are still debating the issue.  If CCS
turns out to be a flop, there still will be less CO2 with nuclear
assistance than without it.

      -- George