[ RadSafe ] looking for an old instrument

Philip Egidi pvegidi at smtpgate.dphe.state.co.us
Thu Apr 22 16:08:41 CDT 2010

Radsters,

I am looking for an old instrument for a mine inspector; he is looking for the intrinsically safe working level monitor they used to take into uranium mines (vented and unvented) popular back in the day.  I remember them as being made by MSHA or MSHA-approved, and they were nicknamed The Canary.  They were simple, rugged instruments with a sniffer-type probe.

Anyone remember this box and what are they using these days in Canada and elsewhere where uranium mining actually occurs (other than taking air samples and counting using the methods in ANSI N13.8 and other guidance).

I went to the Pylon site and didn't see anything like this, nor at the Duuridge site, nor the Exploranium site.

Please reply privately to save bandwidth.
Thanks,

Phil Egidi
EPS III
Radiation Management Unit
Radiation Control Program
Hazardous Materials and Waste Management Division
CDPHE

222 S. 6th St. Rm. 232
Grand Junction, CO 81501
(970) 209-2885 (cell)