No subject

Fri Apr 23 14:26:27 CDT 2010

blem for MCNP. Refer to the work by Sultis and Faw at Kansas State U in th=
e US (and others) on problems such as this.=20
=20
Bruce Mann

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Sonter <sontermj at tpg.com.au>
To: radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu
Sent: Tue, Sep 14, 2010 2:05 am
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] RadSafe Digest, Vol 407, Issue 1

My Thanks to all who responded re the tailings question: but I have obviou=
sly been too coy and not clear enough... It's gamma, not radon, that I am=
 interested in...and I am not enquiring about the effectiveness of cover..=
..=20
=20
I have a future hypothetical tailings deposit which will NOT be emitting=
 radon but which is a large area source of strong gammas, at 1 MeV and at=
 2.6 MeV (guess what it is??), and I suspect the gamma doserate standing=
 on the surface of the pile will be about 200 microsieverts per hour.=20
=20
Does anybody have any idea how I might estimate gamma skyshine at a distan=
ce of (say) 200 metres from the boundary of such a source, of area (say)=
 100 m x 100 m ???=20
=20
Mark Sonter=20
=20
-- Mark Sonter=20
=20
Radiation Advice & Solutions Pty Ltd, abn 31 891 761 435=20
Asteroid Enterprises Pty Ltd, abn 53 008 115 302=20
=20
116 Pennine Drive, South Maclean, Queensland 4280, Australia=20
=20
Phone / fax (07) 3297 7653 Mobile 0412 433 286=20
=20
=E2=80=9CKeep everything as simple as possible, but no simpler=E2=80=9D -=
 A. Einstein=20
=20
--This email was produced using recycled electrons--=20
=20