No subject

Fri Apr 23 14:26:27 CDT 2010

term radwaste disposal.

Below is an announcement of a new film on radioactive waste disposal that
will be making its U.S. debut in New York City on Wednesday, February 2,
2011.

Here's a brief review by NIRS' Mary Olson:

Those in the United States who support the renewal of a deep geologic
repository program in the wake of the cancellation of the Yucca Mountain
site will be extremely interested in this thoughtful portrait of Onkalo, the
bedrock repository program in Finland. A blend of "Deep Time" work, perhaps
inspired by the Nuclear Guardianship vision fostered by Joanna Macy and
others, and frontal interviews with today's top scientific experts,
engineers, technicians and policy-makers in the nuclear arena of Finland,
this piece manages to confront multiple dimensions of the nuclear dilemma.
We see and hear Director Michael Madsen speaking to someone of a generation
in the far distant future, and we see portrait-level documentation of the
people responsible for designing and implementing this program grapple with
his invitation to do the same.

In the end, this film is a deep, complex portrait not only of us as a
species capable of capturing combustion (fire) and now fission (a second
fire), but it is also a portrait of this enormously resource-intense nuclear
technology and its "child" - inevitable waste. While the film does not
challenge the fundamentals of deep geologic isolation, it certainly presents
a strong voice in opposition to making very much more of this extremely
vexing waste product.

*INTO ETERNITY* <http://www.infc.us/eternity/>

A film by Michael Madsen

Playing Feb 2 - Feb 15 Only at:

FILM FORUM <http://www.filmforum.org/films/intoeternity.html>

209 W. Houston Street, bet. 6th & 7th Ave, NYC, 212-727-8110

*Purchase tickets
here.*<http://boxoffice.printtixusa.com/filmforum/advance?v=2454&i=9889>
**

* *

Click here to find Additional Playdates in the US and
Canada.<http://www.infc.us/eternity/playdate.html>

New dates to be announced soon.

<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Into-Eternity/129142237150849>

*"This place is not a place of honour. *

*No esteemed deeds are commemorated here. This is not a place for you. What
is here is dangerous and repulsive. The danger will still be present in your
time, as it is in ours."*

* *

These are the sentences that future man will meet if he finds and opens the
gigantic network of underground tunnels which are presently being hewn out
of the bedrock in Finland.  The tunnels will be filled with high-level
radioactive waste, which must be kept isolated from human beings and other
live organisms for at least 100.000 years into the future so as not to
render large areas uninhabitable.

Not only must the facility last 10 times longer than any manmade
construction ever, it must also be able to resist all thinkable climate
changes, erosion, evolution. The real challenge, however, is to secure the
facility from human intrusion.  To succeed with that is vital in order to
keep future man safe and prevent the waste from escaping into the biosphere.
When the waste has been deposited, the facility will be sealed off, never to
be opened again. But can we ensure that? How is it possible to warn future
man of the waste we left behind? How do we prevent them from thinking they
have found the pyramids of our time, mystical burial grounds, hidden
treasures? Which languages and signs will they understand, and if they
understand, will they respect our instructions?

These are among the many thought-provoking questions pondered in *INTO
ETERNITY.*

" *****  **A riveting documentary: as spooky as the early scenes of 2001."*

- Nigel Andrews, *Financial Times*

" **** *One of the most extraordinary factual films to be shown this year*..

Why isn't every government, every philosopher, every theologian, everywhere
in the world discussing Onkalo and its implications? I don't know, but *they
should see this film*."   - Peter Bradshaw, *The Guardian* (UK)

* *

"Intelligent, visually striking!  *Eloquent and slightly ominous*. An eerie,
provocative, poetic film." - Philip French, *Observer* (UK)

*"Chilling!"* - Andrew O'Hehir, salon.com

"Mutates into *a science fiction tale of future shock*, coming across like
deep background to QUARTERMASS AND THE PIT or DR. WHO."

- Nick Hasted, *Sight + Sound* magazine

* *

*WATCH THE TRAILER* <http://www.intoeternitythemovie.com/>**

* *

*Nominated, Cinema Eye Honor - Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography
2011*

*Nominated, Cinema Eye Honor - Outstanding Achievement in an Int'l Feature
2011*

*Reel Talent Award for Michael Madsen, CPH:DOX 2010
Grand Prize, Paris Int'l Environmental Film Festival (FIFE) 2010*

*Green Screen Award, IDFA, Amsterdam 2010
Grand Prize, Vision Du Reel, Nyon 2010
Audience Award CPH:DOX, Copenhagen 2009*

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)