[ RadSafe ] Nuclear Power in Saudi Arabia

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Sun Aug 22 21:08:29 CDT 2010

Aug. 22, 2010

         Comments below.

At 05:44 PM 8/22/2010, ROY HERREN wrote:
>In addition to having vast oil reserves it is highly likely that Saudi Arabia
>also has equally vast natural gas reserves.  They could no doubt meet their
>domestic energy needs for many decades to come just by utilizing
>their natural
>gas.  The short of it is that they won't need Nuclear Power to supply their
>domestic energy needs for many decades.  So then the million dollar
>question is
>why are they currently interested in obtaining Nuclear Power?  Will
>there be a
>time in the near term future when all of the countries in the region
>will have
>attempting to build Nuclear Power plants?  If one were to look at it from the
>Saudi perspective, if Israel and Iran both have Nuclear Power
>plants, then why
>shouldn't Saudi Arabia also have one?  How does the International
>Community go
>about assisting countries in obtaining peaceful use of Nuclear Power while at
>the same time preventing proliferation of weapons grade fissile materials?
>  Roy Herren

         Saudi Arabia may be trying to keep up with the Joneses.  Or,
perhaps it doesn't want to burn that precious petroleum, and would
rather burn uranium.

         What's the big deal about preventing proliferation?  No one
tried to prevent the proliferation of gunpowder, cannon, or machine
guns.  They are here and they are ubiquitous.  We've learned to live
with them, so can't we also learn to live with weapons grade fissile materials?

Steven Dapra

[edit all the earlier postings]