[ RadSafe ] FW: [gulflink] Low Level Radiation Exposures during Desert storm

Roger Helbig rhelbig at sfo.com
Wed Aug 25 17:06:07 CDT 2010

National CFIDS Foundation (NCF) Announces Link between Chronic Fatigue
Syndrome and Low Level Radiation Exposure

NEEDHAM, Mass., Aug. 20 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The National CFIDS
Foundation Inc., of Needham Mass, has announced its formal disease model for
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) also known as Chronic Fatigue Immune
Dysfunction Syndrome (CFIDS) as well as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
According to the NCF, a subgroup of patients with CFS fit a unique disease
profile based on a model for a radioactive toxin.

Since starting its formal research grant program, the NCF has provided one
million dollars in grant funding to pursue its own directed research to
study ciguatera toxicology; a critical immune protein known as STAT-1; and
myelodysplasia as well as myeloid leukemia -- all of which have been
identified in the patient subgroup.

According to Alan Cocchetto, Medical Director, "Our research suggested that
a relationship existed between ciguatera poisoning, STAT-1 and
myelodysplasia as well as leukemia. Early evidence also suggested that some
type of catalyst was potentially involved in this disease process. Because
of some very unique characteristics identified during the course of our
research, what emerged was the potential for low level radiation to act as
the catalyst to evoke a specific response that fit the profile for our
patients. We believe this to be very important since radiation not only
adversely impacts STAT-1 but it has also been found to cause myelodysplasia
as well as myeloid leukemia, the very things we have been studying. In
addition, the bystander effects associated with low level radiation exposure
cause real problems at the cellular level and this unfortunately translates
into an increased risk for cancer."

Gail Kansky, President, stated, "The Foundation's real revelation came when
our staff linked specific research on mitochondrial DNA deletions, first
published by Australian scientists in 1995, to work published by scientists
in Ireland in 2005. They had identified exactly the same unique mitochondria
characteristics to be due to the direct effects of low level radiation
exposure. This same defect had been mirrored in CFS but it hadn't been
classified for ten years. Because this fits our disease model, we are
pursuing additional research studies. There is no doubt in my mind that we
have found several key pieces to this disease puzzle tied to our patient
group." Furthermore, Kansky added "What is especially discouraging is that
the global implications here could prove to be staggering!"

The Foundation has also noted that CFS has been previously identified as a
characteristic aftermath of radioecological catastrophe. A lengthier article
including references will be in the fall edition of the newsletter.

Founded in 1997, the goals of the NCF are to help fund medical research to
find a cause, expedite treatments and eventually a cure for CFIDS/ME. The
NCF is funded solely by individual contributions. Additional information can
be found on the Foundation's website at  <http://www.ncf-net.org>
www.ncf-net.org or in The National Forum quarterly newsletter. The NCF can
be reached by phone at 781-449-3535.

__._,_.___

gulflink at yahoogroups.com is a service
of http://www.gulflink.org.

Hosted by: The Desert Storm Battle Registry
A Gulf War Veteran advocacy group!

Messages posted to this service are the
opinions of the senders, and do not
necessarily represent that of the group
or DSBR. Any advertisements posted at the
bottom are not necessarily endorsements
of DSBR and affiliates.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97476590/grpId=2053931/grpspId=1705345561/msgId
=11898/stime=1282739824>

Change
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gulflink/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJmczNmM2FwBF9TAzk3ND
c2NTkwBGdycElkAzIwNTM5MzEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MzQ1NTYxBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3N0bmdzBH
N0aW1lAzEyODI3Mzk4MjQ->  settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch
<mailto:gulflink-digest at yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest>
delivery to Daily Digest | Switch
<mailto:gulflink-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Fo
rmat:%20Fully%20Featured>  to Fully Featured
Visit
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gulflink;_ylc=X3oDMTJkbHRsN3U4BF9TAzk3NDc2NTk
wBGdycElkAzIwNTM5MzEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MzQ1NTYxBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwZgRzdGltZQM
xMjgyNzM5ODI0>  Your Group | Yahoo! Groups
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  Terms of Use | Unsubscribe