[ RadSafe ] Airport X-Ray scanners

Clayton J Bradt CJB01 at health.state.ny.us
Fri Dec 3 13:44:56 CST 2010

"Exclusive federal jurisdiction" is an NRC-made-up concept that applies
only to the regulation of radioactive materials. The only sure-fire way to
tell whether an area is under exclusive federal jurisdiction is to shoot
somebody and see who arrests you. Short of this, I don't know of anyone
who can actually tell a priori what the designation means except in the
most clear cut cases: e.g. if your on a US Navy ship in mid-ocean your
under exclusive federal jurisdiction.  On a military base? -probably. In a
VA Hospital? - I think so.  Whether the TSA security area of a municipal
airport is under exclusive federal jurisdiction is a question that lawyers
would have to determine in court.  I don't believe that this has ever been
done. In any event it wouldn't have any bearing on the regulation of the
use of x-ray equipment. The Commerce Clause and the Supremacy Clause of
the US Constitution are what determine who can regulate the TSA's
activities whatever they are and wherever they occur. Unless congress
expressly allows states to regulate TSA, they can't do so.  As far as I
know congress has been silent on this issue. If it were otherwise, TSA's
current use of these scanners at JFK and LaGuardia would be strictly
illegal under New York's Public Health Law. In this state, the application
of ionizing radiation to humans can only be conducted for medical purposes
by licensed medical professionals - period.

Clayton J. Bradt
Principal Radiophysicist
NYS Dept. of Health
Biggs Laboratory, Room D486A
Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12201-0509

518-474-1993

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.