[ RadSafe ] News Item Online - Belgian Activists BreachNuclearWeapons Site

Fri Feb 5 16:09:33 CST 2010

Speaking as someone who was in the nuke wep biz years ago, I suspect that the activists passed multiple signs stating that deadly force was authorized.  I believe the guard who approached the group alone has been "counseled" on not following proper procedure and rules of engagement, which almost certainly called for him to report in, then hang back and observe until a reaction force got there.  The activists are alive only because of a level of restraint that undoubtedly is being critiqued.

The politics, strategy, and tactics around nuclear weapons is complex, with many layers of though the general public is unaware of.  In one respect, nuclear weapons were developed and produced in such large numbers because they are incredibly cheap, or at least cost effective for certain missions.  (there are other, less logical reasons, too, and those usually played the biggest part).  I credit nuclear weapons in Europe, even more than the strategic reserve, for keeping the Cold War cold.  The USSR was in no doubt that should they try to use their massive conventional weapons (and numbers) advantage, NATO might well use nukes to cut off their advances.  I truly do not believe NATO ever had any intentions of rolling tanks into East Germany, but if they had, and the Warsaw Pact could not stop the advance with their own armor, there were always the nukes.

As to whether or not those American men and women charged with carrying out lawful orders to launch their weapons would do so; be free of doubt.  Know in your heart that my brothers and sisters in arms have the resolve, and fully aware of the consequences, would carry out their orders.  I know this in mine.  I speak not for other countries.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On Behalf Of Franz Schönhofer
Sent: Friday, February 05, 2010 6:55 AM
To: blreider at aol.com; radsafe at radlab.nl
Subject: AW: [ RadSafe ] News Item Online - Belgian Activists BreachNuclearWeapons Site

Come on and take a few seconds (or minutes) to consider this "event": If the
guards had shot in defence a few of those "activists" - what would the
outcome have been? An outraged worldwide cry that peaceful protestors were
killed by the reckless pronuclears.

Personally I do not believe that nuclear weapons are necessary or wanted.
Moreover I do not believe that any of these "groups" would be able to fire
any nuclear weapon - so actual risk is zero - but try to explain this to
journalists! Those journalists depend on horror stories - not such rubbish-
no honorary......

Those events are not to be taken from a serious, scientific point of view -
politics and mass media transfer is what fits their agenda.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.
Habicherg. 31/7