[ RadSafe ] Vermont Yankee leaking tritium - what me worry?

William Lipton doctorbill34 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 17:49:43 CST 2010

You may not "wring your hands," but all of the nuclear power plant operating
utilities are wringing theirs.  They have instituted major programs to
identify potential sources of leaks, remediate where appropriate, and
improve monitoring and reporting.

"Are the leaks dangerous?" is the wrong question.  Of course, they're not.

The real question is, "Should nuclear power plant operators take reasonable
measures to prevent leaks, improve monitoring so that leaks are detected
long before they reach groundwater, remediate any detected leaks, and keep
the public informed?"  Of course, they should.

Bill Lipton
It's not about dose, it's about trust.
doctorbill at post.harvard.edu