[ RadSafe ] Looking for a new RadSafe moderator

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 13:58:18 CST 2010

Dear Jeff:

The last time we communicated was over a suggestion to coordinate with the
Sosny Labs in Minsk for potential visits to the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone or
perhaps with the Leoben Mining University.

As you probably know, I interpret the objective of the RadSafe group a bit
more broadly than pure health physics. Clearly, one of those objectives to
me includes those issues related to the hydrogeological characterization of
nuclear waste repositories as well as issues related to uranium mining.
Issues related to remediation and waste management are not purely
engineering problems, but also scientific, and of course geologic.

I've worked overseas for 15 years including 8 years at the IAEA in Vienna
and much of Central, Eastern and Western Europe as well as Central Asia.
During the course of this experience, I have met and made friends with
scientists and engineers from more countries than I can remember. Many of
these countries are not well represented in discussion. Perhaps an effort
should be made to try to encourage them to join the RadSafe discussion.

During my time in Vienna (1980-1988), I tried to constrain my comments to
either my work or my horse, Boo. (Reminiscent of Maury & Dog)...  I would
hope that similar restraint be understood by some of our more vociferous
participants.

I can't imagine how many "lurkers" there are on RadSafe, but I would hope
that they will be encouraged to engage in open debate. I'm sure that some of
these individuals might feel constrained in their comments, but I would
welcome their points of view.

In any case, I wanted to thank Marcel for his exemplary work over the past 5
years (and patience with a poor geologist) and to extend my best wishes to
you, Terry, in the future management of this diverse group.

Dan ii

--
Dan W McCarn, Geologist
2867 A Fuego Sagrado