[ RadSafe ] Claim that "Nuclear power is too risky" (CNN)

blreider at aol.com blreider at aol.com
Wed Feb 24 20:48:58 CST 2010

Steve, I read Charles Barton's Nuclear Green article and while I agree with going forward with a nuclear power program in the US, I can't imagine that anyone really expects US (or other) nuclear power reactors to take 2 years to build in the near future.

The Westinghouse AP1000 has been promised in 5 years and is a standardized reactor and containment design,  however each site needs a certain amount of site-specific engineering and therefore it does take time for that, QA of the components, and for the licensing even if the manufacturing goes smoothly.  It has been 3 years since the Chinese ordered their AP1000s, and my guess is that their licensing process is a lot faster than ours in the US.   It will be interesting to see how commitments for 5 year delivery times are met both on the first ones and on the multiple orders expected for the AP1000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AP1000

Barbara Reider, CHP