[ RadSafe ] Claim that "Nuclear power is too risky" (CNN)

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Wed Feb 24 21:36:53 CST 2010

Feb. 24

         I did not read Barton's article and can not comment on
it.  I said it lacked source material and had not been edited for
spelling, however this statement was based on reading the first two
or three paragraphs, and on a rapid skimming of the balance.

         I looked at Barton's article to prepare this reply, and he
wrote, "However Nuclear manufacturers such as Babcock & Wilcox expect
[to] shorten reactor construction time to only 2 years, by building
reactors in factories rather than on site."  I am not an engineer,
nor have I ever worked in the construction industry, however I
consider this two year claim to be nonsensical.  Even if there were
no delays (not even from inclement weather) from the day the first
shovelful of dirt was moved until the day the reactor was ready to
begin loading its fuel, it is inconceivable to me that the mere act
of construction would take only two years.

Steven Dapra