[ RadSafe ] LSC Method Assistance Needed - CO2

blreider at aol.com blreider at aol.com
Thu Jan 7 20:53:47 CST 2010

Thanks for your input and query Darren and Dave.

Dave:  I do think you have a valid question - when doing any procedure a calibration should quantify all aspects of the method used, not just the count to disintegrations ratio.  I have not used this method for bioassay myself (this really was a question from someone else) so perhaps others have the answer about quantification of losses.

I have witnessed transport of tritium through just about any o-ring in creation.  It does take some time though, and I would think tritium exchange is a much faster exchange than C with the C of rubber.  Don't know about other mechanisms such as rubber pore sixe issues but if not held for long perhaps this method of collection does not create big errors or losses.

That said, iodine adsorbing on the walls of collection tubes from stack monitors seems to be always a problem.  Results resulting from isotopic isokinetic sampling is in many cases lower than the actual concentrations.

2 cents!

Barbara Reider, CHP