AW: [ RadSafe ] LSC Method Assistance Needed - CO2

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Fri Jan 8 18:08:48 CST 2010

Hi, here I am.....(again).

I know a little about LSC, but would not claim that I know everything.
Though I am happy that I could work during the last years at least
temporarily with LSC (I am retired), this was mostly in the NORM field.
However I am satisfied that I remember quite a lot from previous times. So I
remember the word "Hyamine hydroxide" both as a solubilizer of tissue and an
absorption reagent for CO2, used primarily in sample oxidiser cocktails.
Please check at Google for "sample oxidizer cocktails" (PerkinElmer will
show up) and "Hyamine hydroxide 10-X", try also "breath test" or
"Campylobacter C-14" or similar. There is a lot there.

It seems to me that the tests for Campylobacter is more or less a
qualitative test - if this "beast" is present it will split C-14-urea and
produce C-14-O2, if not, there will be no signal of C-14O2. Therefore it
seems to me that no elaborate calibrations are necessary and since the
adminstered C-14 activities are high no problems with LLD are encountered.

All the elaborate thoughts about absorption efficiency of different
chemicals are really not necessary in this case.

Of course those considerations play a big role, when low C-14 concentrations
for instance in the environment are of concern. LiOH has been found to have
advantages over other absorption hydroxides - but this is another story.

Best regards to everybody,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.