[ RadSafe ] Trustworthiness and Reliability requirements

Ring, Joseph P. joseph_ring at harvard.edu
Mon Jul 19 17:10:41 CDT 2010

While I understand and agree some of the points raised in this
discussion, I must add that lawyers do not see this as  unclear as the
discussion. The lawyers I worked with thought the documents that we were
given in prelimiinary discussion with NRC and in our Orders from MA,
included some clear specifics and that we could go above those if we
chose; and of course they did.  I would like to note that the HR
managers thought that the NRC guidance was too specific and restrictive.
In addition to the guidance provided in the initial program, some
additional criteria have been added in subsequent orders requiring
fingerprints.

These 'rules' are different from what we are used to in radiation.
Traditionally, our regulations have been very clear and specific.  As
NRC works with performance based regulations the guidance becomes less
clear giving us more lattitude. That is good on one side and not on the
other.

Joe Ring

Joseph P. Ring, Ph.D., CHP

Radiation Safety Officer

Harvard University

46 Blackstone Street

Cambridge, MA 02139

Telephone: 617 495-8795

FAX: 617 496-5509

Email: Joseph_ring at harvard.edu

Radiation Protection Office email: Radiation_protection at harvard.edu

RPO Web Site <http://www.uos.harvard.edu/ehs/radiation/>
http://www.uos.harvard.edu/ehs/radiation/

This document may contain information that is privileged, CONFIDENTIAL
and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
intended recipient, please destroy the email and notify me immediately,
as the use of this information is strictly prohibited.