[ RadSafe ] Lost sources in generall

Jeff Terry terryj at iit.edu
Mon Jul 26 13:49:14 CDT 2010

As someone regulated by the state of Illinois, I have been trying to stay out of this, but why go against my nature now.

I am regulated by the same illinois agency for both radiological and laser safety. The inspectors who come to Chicago have been quite competent and in most cases helpful. As with all regulators, at times they can be a pain.

I have trouble believing that this incident had anything to do with the state regulators at the present time. Given the current Illinois budget crisis that may not hold true in the future.

In my experience incidents of lost sources, hazardous operating conditions, and others of this nature are usually due to the incompetence of the institution and not the regulator. One can always hide things from regulators, not that i or my current employer would do such a thing; but we all know it is possible.

Jeff