[ RadSafe ] RadSafe Digest, Vol 367, Issue 1

Thu Jul 29 16:20:22 CDT 2010

Hi, Gary.

I am glad you don't see rampant corruption, and I hope you never do.  I
am even willing to stipulate that in a small "market" like x-ray
inspection there may be enough oversight that it may not happen.

Please note that be as blatant as bribes for the system to be
undermined.  Let's use your example of private contractors doing auto
exhaust inspections.  If the word gets out that cars that don't pass at
Clean Air Inspections do pass at Keep 'er Rolling Inspections, who do
you think will do the most inspections, and make the most money?  And if
the number of inspection shops keeps going up, and the resources of the
oversight agency keeps going down, how long before someone does their
own informal risk/benefit analysis and decides to fudge the rules in
order to make a little more money (especially if they don't think the
rules are that important to begin with)?

As for "corporate corruption", I would submit that one form of this is a
lack of a safety culture within a corporation.  When decision makers
consistently give short term profit more weight than safety, the results
are often sub-optimal, even if they don't dominate the news for 100+
days.