[ RadSafe ] 10th Circuit Court Upholds Uranium License

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 18:26:09 CDT 2010

Dear Colleagues:

A very important ruling by the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals has been in
favor of Uranium Resources, Inc. (URI) for development of the Church Rock
uranium deposit in New Mexico.  This opens the way for URI to obtain an
Underground Injection Permit and begin mining.

http://tinyurl.com/URIRuling

http://tinyurl.com/NavajoPetition

URI has been pursuing this license since about 1990.  Mark Pelizza, VP of
Environment for URI, and I coauthored a paper on the licensing process,
published through the IAEA in 2004.  I have been involved twice in
preparation of affidavits for URI in NRC Hearings for this license:

Pelizza, Mark and McCarn, Dan W., (2004): Licensing of In Situ Leach
Recovery Operations for the Crownpoint and Church Rock Uranium Deposits, New
Mexico: A Case Study, IAEA-TECDOC-1396
<http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/te_1396_web.pdf> , pp.
153-173.

http://tinyurl.com/Tecdoc-1396

This case was a challenge to the NRC's licensing process which has been
again upheld by the court.

Best!

Dan ii

--