[ RadSafe ] RadSafe Digest, Vol 338, Issue 1

Earley, Jack N Jack_N_Earley at RL.gov
Mon Jun 28 09:54:22 CDT 2010

Still incredible to me:

"About 60 per cent of radon-related deaths occur in smokers, 30 per cent among former smokers and 10 per cent among people who never smoked, estimates the Quebec Department of Health and Social Services. "Like most everybody, I was surrounded by smokers in my childhood," Marie Bedard told The Gazette. "But since I'm allergic to smoke, I always kept my distance."

Ninety percent of the fatalities are related to smoking, but they still focus on the radon. It's like blaming wrecks on the weather instead of on the excessive speed or lack of control by the people who were driving at the time (how many times have you read "the weather was responsible for x number of traffic fatalities"?). You'd think that after this many years, I'd be used to the stupidity. I think there's a definition of insanity I should be reviewing-I must be expecting a different outcome from the same old programs people keep running.

Jack Earley
Sr. Health Physicist

Don't Say It - WRITE IT!
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain proprietary, business-confidential, and/or privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that any use, review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, reproduction, or any action taken in reliance upon this message is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of the company.