[ RadSafe ] NCRP #161 Problem

Carol Marcus csmarcus at ucla.edu
Mon Mar 1 13:35:16 CST 2010

March 1, 2010

Dear Radsafers:

Many of you are aware that NCRP #161 is out, called "Management of
Persons Contaminated with Radionuclides: Handbook".  This is the
updated version of NCRP #65.  As a physician who counsels Los Angeles
County on patient management with radiation contamination, I
immediately purchased it and read it to see what was new and
useful.  While a huge amount of the handbook contents are either
obvious or are in multiple other guidance documents from many other
sources, the handbook does contain updated information on
decorporation drugs (very useful) and terrific information on
guestimating internal contamination levels with limited data, such as
spot urine collection.  This latter information, which is really, for
me, the best part of the handbook, contains an important section on
how to use the tables in the document to make real life decisions
regarding patient management (Sec. 11.5).  Unfortunately, and this is
critical, one needs information from Tables 20.27, 20.30, and 20.75
to solve the problems given as examples.  These tables, and
presumably others that would likewise be needed to solve such
patient-specific problems, are NOT IN THIS HANDBOOK!  They will
appear in a second part of this report, available later this year, at
additional cost, which so far is over 800 pages long.

I have asked David Schauer, Executive Director of NCRP, to make all
needed tables in Vol. 2 available as an addendum to those who
purchase Vol. 1 (this Handbook).  Otherwise, one of the primary
values of this Handbook is negated because some of the data needed
for making internal contamination estimates are not included.

As you all know, one voice in the wilderness tackling a bureaucracy
is usually not successful.  However, if many of you join me in
requesting such an addendum, we have a much better chance of
success.  And, NCRP's document will be much more useful than it is
now.  Alternatively, I guess it might be cheaper for NCRP to put
these tables from Vol. 2 on the web for us to download.  That would
be fine, too.  We just need these tables for patient care.

Please make this request to:

David A. Schauer, ScD, CHP
Executive Director
National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements
7910 Woodmont Ave., Suite 400
Bethesda, MD 20814-3095

<David.Schauer at ncrponline.org>

Many thanks for your help in this matter.

Sincerely,

Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.
<csmarcus at ucla.edu>
Prof. of Radiation Oncology and of Radiological Sciences, UCLA