[ RadSafe ] Bill would require health warnings on Maine cell phones

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Mon Mar 1 21:09:28 CST 2010

March 1

         Lloyd Morgan's website:

http://www.powerwatch.org.uk/columns/morgan/index.asp

         By training, Morgan is an electronic engineer.

         Link to the abstract of Morgan's review paper in Pathophysiology:

http://www.journals.elsevierhealth.com/periodicals/patphy/article/S0928-4680(09)00012-1/abstract

         Link to the full text of Morgan's review paper in Pathophysiology:

http://www.journals.elsevierhealth.com/periodicals/patphy/article/S0928-4680(09)00012-1/fulltext

         The citation is: Pathophysiology, 16(2):137-147; August 2009.

         More Morgan claims in the British Medical Journal:

Mobile phone use and risk of glioma in adults: study has many flaws.
L. Lloyd Morgan
BMJ; 332(7548):1035;April 2006.

         Still more:

Re: "Cellular phones, cordless phones, and the risks of glioma and
meningioma (Interphone Study Group, Germany)".
L Lloyd Morgan
Am J Epidemiol
August 2006 (Vol. 164, Issue 3, Pages 294-295)

At 01:16 PM 3/1/2010, Yoss, Robert wrote:
>STATE HOUSE
>
>February 28
>
>Bill would require health warnings on Maine cell phones
>
>During lunch in late April 1995, Lloyd Morgan collapsed on the floor
>and had a 45-minute seizure. Doctors later found a tumor the size of
>a peach in his brain. They could not operate, he said, because his
>brain was so swollen that it might herniate.

[edit]

>Tuesday, he will testify before the Legislature's Health and Human
>Services Committee when it hears L.D. 1706, which would make Maine
>the first state to put warnings on cell phones. They would say the
>electromagnetic radiation the phone emits could cause brain cancer
>and that users -- particularly kids and pregnant women -- should use caution.

         Does this mean pregnant women are more susceptible to brain
cancer from using cell phones than are non-pregnant women?

[edit]

>"The industry used to say that they met all applicable safety
>standards," said George Carlo, a lawyer and pathologist who taught
>at George Washington Medical School for 20 years. "Well, that's
>true. There are none."
>
>Beginning in 1993, Carlo supervised a study sponsored by CTIA that
>came about, he said, after a Florida court case that attracted some
>national attention when David Reynard, who had sued several
>telecommunications companies, said on national television his wife
>died because of a brain tumor caused by a cell phone.
>
>Carlo said he was asked to design and run a study that would be
>peer-reviewed and involve 200 doctors from around the world. It
>lasted for six years and cost the industry $28.5 million.
>
>"We found genetic damage in human blood exposed to cell phone
>radiation," he said in an interview Friday. "We found an increased
>risk of tumors of the acoustic nerve. We found more than a doubling
>of the risk of neuroepithelial tumors."

         Is genetic damage in human blood a guarantor of brain
cancer?  Where was Carlo's study published?

>This class of tumor affects a type of cell in the brain, and is the
>same kind that killed David Reynard's wife, said Carlo, the
>co-author of "Cell Phones, Invisible Hazards in the Wireless Age."
>
>"Finding genetic damage in human blood is enough to prevent any
>product from finding its way into commerce," he said. "I made the
>recommendation that a warning label be put on phones, to both the
>industry and the government, in 1999."

[edit]

         Reviews of Carlo's book will be found on Amazon.com.

         You can also read about him on Wikipedia:

         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Carlo

Steven Dapra