[ RadSafe ] RadSafe Digest, Vol 239, Issue 1

Wed Mar 10 15:46:29 CST 2010

Hi, Franz.

If I were traveling with any source that might set off a detector, even if the source was exempt, I would have all the documentation I could lay hands on that would help me convince security personnel that I was allowed to do what I was doing.  I have been asked for advice by people who were going to be traveling internationally shortly after receiving I-131 treatment, and I advised them to have letters from their doctor in the languages of all the airports they would pass through, and to send letters ahead to the security directors of those airports.  Anything that makes it easier for them to agree with you than not.

"Don't get in a pissing contest with someone carrying a leaf-blower." - Mike Brennan

-----Original Message-----
From: Franz Schönhofer [mailto:franz.schoenhofer at chello.at]
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:20 PM
To: 'Dan W McCarn'; Brennan, Mike (DOH); radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu
Cc: Ken.Peterson at us.fincantieri.com
Subject: AW: [ RadSafe ] RadSafe Digest, Vol 239, Issue 1

Dan,

Sorry that we never met in Vienna. I am more than sure that we would have
had a lot of fruitful discusssions for hours and hours to go on! I actually
wonder why you never have contacted me though my telephone number was always
given in my messsges to RADSAFE.

Though I agree with most of your contributions I cannot agree with your
latest one. What are your exempt check sources, why should they be treated
in any way separately?? They are exempt - ok, no need to  control them or
restrict them. Mineral waters with extremely high Radium content - should
they be controlled at the border? This is close to be ridiculous.

Best regards and wishes,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.