[ RadSafe ] Nuclear Power as Part of Our Energy Surety & Economic Security Future (Part 1)

Miller, Mark L mmiller at sandia.gov
Mon Mar 15 09:03:17 CDT 2010

With the current global warming issues and looming energy crisis, we must objectively evaluate the facts regarding the world energy crisis and based on the weight of the evidence, draw reasonable conclusions from them and then strive to see that they are implemented on a national and even world scale.  There is no question that there will be increasing potential for regional and global conflict over access to conventional energy resources which are essential to achieving a better standard of living.  However, today, we are faced with the stark reality of finite fossil energy reserves, the threat of global warming, overpopulation, economic turmoil and the world's "have-nots" striving to attain the standard of life enjoyed by the world's "haves".
The U.S. obtains 73% of the energy it consumes from CO2-producing sources.  97% of U.S. transportation uses oil (train, truck, car, agriculture) 70+% of this oil is imported, most of it from countries of the world that are politically unstable and don't like Westerners.  This is up from ~30% prior to the 1973 oil embargo.  Since then every President has proclaimed that the U.S. would reduce its dependence on foreign oil - to no apparent effect.  Are we missing something here?
By reliable, I mean that is it available 24/7/365

Regardless of where you live - large country or small, your future energy supply must be:
* reliable,
* sustainable,
* environmentally friendly,
* affordable and,
* available.
By reliable, I mean that is it available 24/7/365.  Unfortunately renewables, although essential to every country's energy portfolio, are not capable of delivering on this essential characteristic which is needed for baseload generation (have you ever tried to power a steel plant with solar power?).  Sustainable means that it does not deplete finite resources.  Environmentally friendly can be a catch-all, but for now I'll assign this bugbear to CO2 and global warming.  The meaning of affordable is obvious, but may mean dramatically different things to people from different economic strata.  Historically in this country, cost was no object.  Our per-capita prosperity was off the charts (in global terms) and was completely taken for granted (nolo contendere).  With the bursting of the United States' and the world's economic bubble, capital cost matters!