[ RadSafe ] Alphatron gauges

BRISSON Nicolas nicolas.brisson at irsn.fr
Mon Mar 15 10:50:27 CDT 2010

Hi all,

I know there's already been some talks about this subject several years ago but for whatever reason I'm not able to go through radsafe archives.

I'd like to know if these gauges contain radium sealed sources or not.
I recently had to make an expertise on 2 gauges and the dose rate (several µSv per hour) didn't fit with the mentioned activity (500 µCi).
But I found several metal plates (1cm per 1,5 cm) in a leaded container nearby with a dose rate of 9 mSv per hour at 1 cm. So I wondered if these plates could have been the gauges sources. The radium is not fixed on the plates.
I can send some pics of the gauges and the plates for those who are interested.

Nicolas Brisson
IRSN/DEI/SIAR
31, rue de l'Ecluse
78116 LE VESINET