[ RadSafe ] Safety Issues Linger as Nuclear Reactors Shrink in Size

Doug Huffman doug.huffman at wildblue.net
Fri Mar 19 14:00:23 CDT 2010

Is there a standard protocol here on top-posting/bottom-posting?

On 3/19/2010 13:11, Brennan, Mike (DOH) wrote:
> Hi, Maury.>
>
> I know that on several occasions US Navy nuclear powered vessels have
> provided emergency power to area after major storms.  I am not aware of
> any decommissioned vessels used to produce electricity, and have
> firsthand knowledge of the program that sends the de-fueled reactors to
> Hanford for disposal (I am inspecting one next week, in fact).
> >
> I personally thought that the best thing that could have been done with
> the many nuke submarines and cruisers we have decommissioned would have
> been to dock them in various ports, hook them up to shore power, and use
> the reactor to feed the grid until they couldn't pull the control rods
> out enough to keep the reactor critical.  (Yes, I know there would have
> had to be infrastructure built to support this, but it would not have
> been difficult).  It would have provided a lot of electricity that could
> have been sold at the going rate (that would not have been controlled by
> Enron) and used up fuel rods that already had to be treated as spent.
> And it would have left the hulls intact, in case as some point we need
> to have a larger Navy in a hurry.
>

> But no one listens to me about these things.

Good idea.  The End Of Life criteria are very different for Naval
Nuclear Power plants than for private power plants.

I am a product of the 'peace dividend' brought upon us by BRAC03.  And
Roger Helbig, my old correspondent, a tip o' th' hat.

Is there a standard protocol here on top-posting/bottom-posting?