[ RadSafe ] 10 rem from lightning?? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Perle, Sandy SPerle at mirion.com
Tue Mar 30 17:49:37 CDT 2010

John,

I'd expect some optical density since film dosimetry can accurately detect and report dose at 10 mrem (0.10 mSv). If a film, dosimetry or otherwise, is exposed to doses in the rem range, you can definitely expect an issue! If you let your camera film go through a carry-on x-ray unit, the exposure is in the tenths of mrem. Checked baggage could be irradiated to between 150 and 300 mrem each time it goes through a unit. This will damage the film, no doubt. As stated, I don't buy the premise of lightning causing this level of ionizing radiation, period.

Regards,

Sandy

____________________
Sander C. Perle
President
Mirion Technologies
Dosimetry Services Division
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

+1 (949) 296-2306 (Office)
+1 (949) 296-1144 (Fax)

Mirion Technologies: http://www.mirion.com/

On Mar 30, 2010, at 3:12 PM, <JOHN.RICH at sargentlundy.com> wrote:

> Just a quick thought.  Would a few rem fog camera film?  (used to carry a film camera and usually had fairly sensitive color film.)  Has anybody had experience with film fogging after a lightning strike on an airplane?  Not as good as a badge, but it would support, or challenge the notion of significant x-rays.  Otherwise, has anybody had an environmental dosimeter register a surprise high dose rate (assuming a lightning strike nearby).
>
> just looking for something that would register the xrays, or support the fact that they aren't significant.
>
>  - -jmr
>
> John Rich
> 312-269-3768

PROPRIETARY INFORMATION NOTICE:   This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it are intended solely for use by the addressee and may contain proprietary information of Mirion Technologies and/or its affiliates.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the message, delete the original message and all attachments from your computer, and destroy any copies you may have made.  Thank you.