[ RadSafe ] Rosalie B. et al.

Bjorn Cedervall bcradsafers at hotmail.com
Wed May 5 01:37:18 CDT 2010

I checked my old files and found the following older papers by RB:

1. Extensions of the Relative Risk Concept, Experientia, Vol. 31, Fasc. 1, 1975:1-10.

2. An Alternate Method for Calculating an Odds Ratio, Journal of Medicine, Vol. 6, No. 1, 1975:15-26.

(this is the Journal I referred to below - I cannot swear on that it was Canadian - the Editor in Chief at that time was from the same institute as RB: Roswell Park Memorial Institute in Buffalo, N.Y. The volumes which I cross-checked - authors vs. editors were probably no. 5 & 6 the year 1975)

3. X-Ray Exposure and Premature Aging, Journal of Surgical Oncology, Vol. 9, 1977:379-391.

(interesting choice of journal for a radiation paper)

4. The nuclear worker and ionizing radiation, American Industrial Hygiene Association Journal, Vol. 5, May 1979:395-401.

5. together with Bross and Gibson: Pets and adult leukemia, American Journal publ. Health, Vol. 62, 1972:1520-1531 (referred to in 2 above).

My personal ideas, comments, actions etc,

Bjorn Cedervall        bcradsafers at hotmail.com

<snip>

> Some RadSafer asked about the "scientific" works by Bertell. In 1987 made a review of some 80 references that came from RB. Most of these were not references to scientific journals etc (rather to hearings and testimonies, contributions in local papers, religous publications, and even a computer manual). As I I recall it, only five of those works had been published in journals that could be called "scientific". One or two of those articles were actually arguments related to radiation risks etc (in Health Physics in the early 80:ies). The other 2-3 papers were math stuff (not much more than high school level as I saw it) published in some Canadian Journal for Medicine. Besides that one can question whether math belongs in a medical journal I noticed that many of the papers in that journal were by the editorial board. Therefore I took on two full volumes of that journal and went through all the articles and cross-checked the authors with those of the editorial board. It turned out that around 50 % of the papers were from the editors themselves - a great way to scratch each other's backs. One article that resembled more "medicine" was published in a popular magazine for electronics. These are excellent ways of having papers published. Another method is to invent journals that actually don't exist and then refer to them like "European Journal of Biology and Bioelectromagnetics". The website may have been taken down now but among the editors were people like Olle Johansson, Henry Lai and Busby. The free "sample paper" was by Roger Coghill. Busby had at least half a dozen "papers" there.
<snip>