[ RadSafe ] Climate Change a fraud?

Otto G. Raabe ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Tue Nov 2 19:31:35 CDT 2010

At 02:28 PM 11/2/2010, John R Johnson wrote:
>This is an interesting topic but has nothing to do with radiation
>unless we encrease electricty using nuclear power, which I strongly support!!
*****************************
November 2, 2010

Here is a possible ionizing radiation connection.

The most precise correlation of changes in the Earth's temperature
are associated with solar activity, especially sun spot frequency and
cycle period changes on a year to year basis. The radiant energy
emitted by the Sun on a year to year basis does not change appreciably.

One theory relates to the intense flux of high energy cosmic protons
continuously hitting the outer atmosphere. The high energy ionization
process and the accompanying ionization showers in the atmosphere
lead to the formation of condensation nuclei and small droplets that
create a diffuse cloud in the atmosphere that reflects radiant energy
from the sun out into space acting as a heat shield. The Earth's
albedo is increased. This natural process tends to cool the Earth.

However, in years when there is considerable sunspot activity and
associated electromagnetic storms emanating from the Sun, the proton
flux is disturbed in a way that causes a reduction in the production
of condensation nuclei in the atmosphere. Consequently, more of the
Sun's radiant energy is absorbed by the Earth with associated warming.

This phenomenon has been seen to be rather precisely effective in the
past. From about 1900 to 1940 Sunspot cycles became increasingly
closer to together and the Earth's temperature rose. Atmospheric
carbon dioxide emissions also rose. Then from about 1940 to 1980
Sunspot cycles became increasingly further apart and the Earths
temperature markedly dropped. There were articles written predicting
the advent of a new ice age! During that period carbon dioxide
emissions continued to rise as the Earth cooled!

Then from about 1980 to about 2000 the sunspot activity picked up
again and the Earth warmed. I believe that the current global warming
craze was conceived following that period.

Since 2000 the solar sunspot activity has dropped again and the Earth
has been cooling.

Over these periods there is no meaningful relationship between carbon
dioxide emissions and global warming. After all, the concentration of
carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is puny compared to the main
greenhouse gas which is water vapor.

So ionizing radiation may explain temporal changes in the Earth's temperature.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140