[ RadSafe ] Climate Change and physics

Bradshaw, Keith kzb Keith.Bradshaw at amec.com
Wed Nov 3 07:36:10 CDT 2010

To bring a bit of science to the debate, radiation absorption and shielding calculations are probably second nature to many on this list.  On the Wiki page linked here, you will see atmospheric electromagnetic radiation aborption characteristics plotted, and it is all conceptually similar to radiation shielding:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_gas

Having seen this page, I cannot see that a physicist can really deny this effect.  If CO2 is not raising the temperature above what it would have been without it,  as in this theory, the onus is on you to prove why not.  For it NOT to raise the temperature would seem to be against the laws of physics.

In my view, the difficulty comes with the feedback mechanisms, are we in a positive or negative feedback loop, and that is where water vapour comes in.  People who say water vapour is more important than CO2 are not taking into account feedback.  Water vapour has a negative feedback mechanism that tends to control temperature, i.e more water vapour = higher temperature, but then higher water vapour also = more cloud cover = lower temperature.  I think it is still uncertain whether water vapour actually increases or decreases temperature.

This negative feedback self-controlling mechanism is absent for CO2 and the other greenhouse gases, except if you allow that they do cause heating, then the water vapour mechanism comes into play.

Pesonal views only

Keith Bradshaw

This email contains confidential information. The contents must
not be disclosed to anyone else except with the authority of the sender.
Unauthorised recipients are requested to maintain this confidentiality and
immediately advise the sender of any error or misdirection in transmission.

The following notice applies to emails originating in the UK.
E-mails sent on behalf of AMEC are sent on behalf of the relevant AMEC
company below. These are registered in England and Wales with registered
office at Booths Park, Chelford Road, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 8QZ and
number as shown: AMEC plc 01675285, AMEC Group Limited 04612748,
AMEC Capital Projects Limited 02804109, AMEC Earth and Environmental UK
Limited 04987981, AMEC Nuclear Holdings Limited 03725076,
AMEC Nuclear M & O Limited 05664844, AMEC Nuclear UK Limited 01120437,
AMEC Nuclear International Limited 03260477, AMEC Nuclear Projects
Limited 05664962  and National Nuclear Corporation Limited 02290928