[ RadSafe ] calculus based physics (hormesis), idiomatic "day"

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Wed Nov 3 21:53:28 CDT 2010

Nov. 3

         On falsifiability, see Michael Ruse, "Falsifiability,
Consilience, and Systematics" in Systematic Zoology 28(4):530-536; Dec. 1979.

         On p. 531, Ruse writes, "The trouble with Popper's position
is that both descriptively and prescriptively it will not do
[footnote omitted].  There have been many great scientific theories
which have existed, been accepted, and been used for ages, although
there were known falsifying or anomalous facts. . . .  And yet
scientists have not thrown out their theories, simply because some of
the facts were against them.  They refused to let their theories be
falsified.  . . . .  Often, if not normally, the proper scientific
strategy is to continue with the theory, and to try to work around
the falsifying data --- by showing the data not to be all that it
appears, by inventing ad hoc hypotheses to explain away the data, or
if worse comes to worst, by ignoring the data and hoping that some
day it will go away.  [citations omitted]

         For those who are not familiar with Michael Ruse, he is a
rabid Darwinist.  I am quoting directly from his paper, and have read
it several times.

         Falsifiability may not be what it's all cracked up to
be.  Furthermore, in practical terms, the word science has been
re-defined to mean anything that supports 'slime to sapiens' evolution.

Steven Dapra

At 10:38 AM 11/3/2010, you wrote:
>Karl Popper addresses "dogma" as "axiom" as he develops his
>'criterion of demarcation' that would work well keeping
>normative/prescriptive statements off the RadSafe list.  If it ain't
>'falsifiable' then it ain't scientific and has no truth value.

[edit]